Friday, 23 May 2014

Two overhyped lip products



It is quite a frequent occurrence in my case where a product is so hyped up in the internet world that I just cannot wait to get my hands on it and when I eventually do it ends up being a bit 'meh'. It leaves me wondering if it is just me because every girl and her dog seems to love the said product. Today's post is about two such products and it is a mere coincidence that both turned out to be lip related.

Revlon Lip Butters
Remember when the Revlon lip butters launched? The whole beauty world went crazy for them. I kept hearing these cute names the likes of tutti fruity, berry smoothie promising top notch hydration and a beautiful wash of colour. I used to stalk the isles of Boots almost everyday hoping for the shades I wanted to be in stock which they never were! Finally I ended up picking two of the bunch Berry Smoothie and Pink Truffle and felt like I accomplished something great. 

However when I started using them I totally failed to see what the hype was all about. It was neither too hydrating on my lips nor was the colour payoff even close to being average. The product is also quite hard which means they do not glide on the lips that easily. I am not saying it is a complete nonsense product, but it is not something that is worth all that hype in my opinion. 

They are not even cheap coming in at around Rs 800 each. I'd rather spend that money and get myself a Korres lip butter, which truly lives up to it's hype. Amazing colour payoff and delivers super soft lips every single time.  No offence to strong revlon lip butter fans but there are much better products in that price range.

Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip perfector - Rosewood shimmer
Clarins describes them as

A softly textured lip gel with a deliciously sweet scent. Lips are left looking soft, smooth, shiny and plump. Sheer, but has enough colour to wear alone or to complement your favourite lip shade.

I agree with the above. Lips do look soft, smooth and shiny (not really plump) but there are tonnes of products in the market that do the same. Any lip gloss will leave lips looking soft, smooth and shiny. What I expected out of this particular product was intense nourishment for the lips which it completely fails to deliver. Unfortunately I got misled by all the blogs out there saying these were so darn hydrating on the lips.

The colour payoff is also not there. It simply looks like I have coated my lips in clear gloss. Certainly not what I expected and it costs close to Rs 1800. To be honest I find the Lakme Aquashines a lot more nourishing on the lips and the colour payoff is great too. And they are cheap compared to the Clarins counterpart - 3 for the price of one!

That is it from me. Now it is your turn to tell me what is that one product that left you wondering what is wrong with you when it is the product that is to blame!