Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque - Review



The Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque has been on my wishlist ever since I saw some youtube raves on it. Recently in a beauty book I came across this  mask being mentioned as the equivalent of the Kiel’s mud mask only a lot cheaper. I had to have it then and there, so placed an amazon order, the customer rating there was also pretty stellar.

The mask claims to deep cleanse pores thereby making them appear smaller and rinse away blackheads and give you a fresh radiant look. First things first, the texture. It is very similar to a toothpaste in texture and spreads easily, unlike some masks that are too thick and takes ages to spread. It smells minty and fresh. It has to be noted that the colour and scent of this mask have nothing to do with actual mint, they derive the colour from green additives and the scent from added fragrance(can be seen in the ingredients list), which annoys me a little bit. Why name it a “mint” mask and then add crap into it?! Why not just call it a mud mask and make it colourless and scentless. If your skin is particularly sensitive to fragrance then this might be a no-no for you.

Moving on, the product is pretty good at what it claims to do. Once a week apply it all over face and neck and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. When you are then done resembling The Mask and scaring young children, wash it off in cool water. The results on me are not immediately apparently, but the morning after I  notice that my facial skin looks more even, which is a result of the pores appearing smaller than they usually are. It did not completely dry my skin out or leave it feeling tight, which is a good thing. As for blackheads, I do not have any, so cannot comment on. I think everyone should own a good mud mask for deep cleaning purposes every now and then. I have used up my Biotique variant and this one is now the mud mask of choice in my skincare wardrobe!

Overall this is a very basic mud mask, that does what it says. I checked the ingredients list on the Kielh’s mask and they are pretty similar, Bentonite, Kaolin and all that jazz. I give this mask a thumbs up for standing true to its claims and for being so budget friendly. Do you use mud packs? What is your favourite mud mask?


Ingredients



BOOOO!!! (Sorry I had to do it lol!)