Tuesday, 12 November 2013

MAC Gel Liner Blacktrack - Review & Photos



I have used a lot of eyeliners over the years, from various brands and various formulations, liquid, stick, gel, felt-tip. But I have reduced my stash and zeroed in on one that is an all-rounder for me, the MAC Gel liner in Blacktrack. It comes in a round glass pot, reminds me of the eyetex kajal’s that come in a pot too. Where the eyetex would smudge in a matter of hours giving me racoon eyes, MAC blacktrack sets after you apply and does not budge the entire day.

Application I am not so adept at drawing a line on my eye that has not gone all raggedy zig-zag! If it is that bad with a pencil liner, imagine how horrible it could get with a brush and gel!
 I could not be more wrong. With blacktrack I manage a nice line close to my lashline every single time. The smooth creamy texture means you do not have to put too much pressure or drag to spread the product, it really is down to these steps - Dip brush, go over eyelid in several short jointed lines and I am done. Literally takes less than 30 seconds.

I started off with the MAC small angled liner brush, 266 I think. The bristles on that used to always go off in an angle post-application and ended up looking tortured. That bothered me and I had to comb the brush out to bring it back to shape. But I have now found a favourite method of application, the 206 small liner brush. It is just perfect for gel liners, very thin and gives me the ideal liner width. I do not do winged liners, but if I ever did then I would reach for this liner, brush combination hands down.

MAC liners and paintpots have a reputation of drying out over time. In the 3 years I have had this product that has not happened. I have used up so little of the product this far, I would not be surprised if my daughter grew up and started off with the same pot. That reminds me, I have tried finding a shelf life for this but to no avail. I will continue to use it for as long as it works!


 
Recommendations 
If you are in the market for a great eye liner that is creamy, smooth, smudge-free and is easy to apply then do check this out. Price - £15 (Rs 1500).

Con One major con though is you have to shell out an equivalent amount of money for the brush, which is a bummer if you are on a budget. In that case I would shell out Rs 1600 for a Clinique gel liner that comes with the brush or a Maybelline one which is less purse hurting at Rs 700 (Order from here with free worldwide delivery).

Let me know what your favourite liners are? Have you tried Blacktrack?

And here is the eer-so-blurry EOTD picture!