Monday, 23 September 2013

My new skincare routine, new skincare products and a new tag



I would like to start a new tag on my blog called “Skincare Investments” to write about the more higher end skincare items that I am currently using and how they have fared. Earlier I did the “My Holygrail” tag where I had written about skincare items that are HG for me that I have been using for years together, that I have gone back to time and time again.

So when I have HG items then why did I move on to more expensive stuff? While the HG items have helped my skin a ton in getting rid of issues, for example the HG face wash helped keep my oiliness down and the spot treatment helped treat spots without drying out skin, skin dullness was always an issue for me. The HG items tackled the specific issues very well but failed to improve the overall look and feel of my skin.

I have been following the new routine for less than 10 days now, but I am already ready to give my judgements. Yes, each and every one of them has shown instant results. I  have never in my life used a product that worked so quickly. Either this shows how effective these products are or it shows that my skin was in really bad shape and was an easy-peasy target for them!

Without further ado I will introduce the products and changes I have incorporated into my skincare routine. I will be writing detailed reviews on each and every one of them over the course of time.

1)      Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm – A balm cleanser that works to remove every trace of makeup along with thoroughly cleaning, soothing and softening the skin. This can also be used as a smoothening mask and is safe to use in the eye area. This stuff is AMAZING!!!!!

2)      Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Face Wash – This is the cult classic Liz Earle warm cloth cleanser. You massage your dry face with this cleanser and remove it with a wash cloth dipped in warm water.

3)      Ren Radiance Renewal Mask – Ren do some really amazing products that contain absolutely no baddies like mineral oil, parabens etc. This mask is meant to lift away dead skin and bring radiance and glow to the skin. Recommended to use once a week.

4)      Alpha-H Liquid Gold – A chemical exfoliant, a night-time treatment, used post-cleansing. Swipe this over face using a cotton wool and leave it overnight to do its thing. I will talk about ingredients etc in more detail in its own post. For now though, this stuff is CRAZY GOOD I tell ya!

5)      Pixi Glow Tonic – Since I moved to the hot cloth cleansing method, I thought of incorporating a toner into the routine to remove any cleanser left behind and also to tone the skin. It was a pain sourcing this toner, but that was totally worth it!!!

6)      Hydraluron – (Reviewed here)A miracle product from Indeed labs which I have written about here.

7)      Eyesilix – Another gem from Indeed labs, this eye cream is meant to tackle every single eye issue that you can imagine, puffiness, dark circles… you name it. And it stands true to all those claims, my current favourite eye cream.

8)      Perricone-MD Omega 3 capsules – (Written about here)I have been taking omega-3 ever since I got pregnant that is about 1.5 years ago. But I was taking off-the-shelf ones that I could get at Boots. This one on the other hand contains omega-3 in its purest form sourced from some Alaskan salmon! It definitely seems expensive on the outset but I have done my math and this works out only slightly more than the drug store version. And I am prepared to pay that price when it comes to supplements.

One big mistake I was making in my skincare routine earlier was not including an exfoliation routine. Reasons behind this was I absolutely hated the exfoliators you get at the drug store, the ones that have beads in them. Rubbing my face with abrasives never felt right to me and so I stayed far far away from them. Only recently I started reading about chemical exfoliants and that’s where Alpha-H Liquid Gold comes into play.

But this mistake has been a blessing in disguise! I think not doing anything is better than scrubbing face with abrasive mud! I cannot stress enough to ask you all to stop using those abrasives, I remember ever youth scrubs being a fav among Indian girls. It will do no good to your skin, it is only going to damage skin and spread infection around especially if you have acne prone skin.

Most of the skincare wisdom I write here was acquired from my favourite skin care blogs this and this. Both are amazing and give the best recommendations ever!

Oh btw I am on a self-imposed ban to not buy any colour cosmetics for the rest of the year. I will keep posting regular updates on whether I stuck to it. I am already tempted with a Clinique offer which is too good to ignore, a Clinique almost lipstick(shade Black Honey) free with ANY purchase AND free shipping! arghhhh